Stanley Town Hall opened in 1911.
The architect was Alexander North (1858-1945) who emigrated from England to Tasmania in 1883. He was known as an outstanding church architect, and a pioneer of concrete construction in Tasmania.
Stanley Town Hall’s builder was W. McDonald of Launceston. The building is a freestyle federation two-storey structure, and the walls were constructed in a series of horizontal concrete pours.
The main auditorium was renovated in the art deco style of the 1930s. There was live entertainment, and the Crystal Talkies cinema.
In 1988 Stanley Town Hall was listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register. It was considered a fine architectural example of a local government building, and its “townscape associations are regarded as important to the community’s sense of place”.
In 2010-2011 a substantial State Government grant funded further improvements. There was full restoration of the art deco auditorium, new seating, new toilet facilities, and new house and stage lighting, and sound systems and projection equipment. There was extensive electrical rewiring, and external painting of the building.
Festival of Small Halls rolls into Stanley on Tuesday, 14 January 2020 with Siobhan Miller (SCO) and Jack Carty (AUS).
Festival of Small Halls Stanley will be supported by Breah Guest. 15 year old Breah has lived in Smithon her whole life. She has always loved to sing and in the the last couple of years has been fortunate enough to learn the guitar and have her performance dreams become a reality, thanks to many in and around Circular Head. Although she performs vast genres, she’s always loved and been inspired by country music and the stories that it is able to tell, along with her favorite artists Carrie Underwood and Luke Combs.
Doors open 6.30pm for 7pm start.
Tickets available online here, or at Lizzy’s This n That, Smith St, Smithton, or at Sticks & Stones Shells & Bones, Church St, Stanley.
Stanley Town Hall is located at 10 Church St, Stanley, TAS, 7331.
Proudly presented by Circular Head Council.