The Yued Noongar people are recognised as the traditional custodians of the land on which Seabird is situated. Not far from Seabird is a 1656 Dutch wreck, the “Vergulde Draek”. Seabird was named after the schooner, “Sea Bird” wrecked just off the beach in 1874. It was a crayfishing town and this remains an integral part of Seabird life, undertaken mostly by amateurs now. Seabird’s population is 78. The Seabird Hall was previously an old school, re-located from Perth in 1974 to provide a place for the Seabird community to socialise. Seabird is particularly proud of its Gala Day which is a free annual event held for families, with traditional races, such as the three-legged, egg and spoon and sack races. At the end of the day, a huge rope is placed on the oval and there is a traditional Tug o’ War in which almost everyone participates. There is no prize for the winning team just a lot of fun. Seabird’s Anzac Day ceremony is another important event held at the hall, even more popular now, since the construction of Seabird’s Armistice Memorial. A few years ago, there was a proposal to replace the hall with a new building, but residents opposed this, as they have a strong attachment to the hall and its history.
Festival of Small Halls rolls into Seabird on Saturday, April 25th with Iona Fyfe (SCO) and Colin Lillie (AUS).
Tickets available online here
Seabird Hall stands on lands traditionally owned by the Noongar Yued people