Stanley Town Hall opened in 1911.
The architect was Alexander North (1858-1945) who emigrated from England to Tasmania in 1883. He was known as an outstanding church architect, and a pioneer of concrete construction in Tasmania.
Stanley Town Hall’s builder was W. McDonald of Launceston. The building is a freestyle federation two-storey structure, and the walls were constructed in a series of horizontal concrete pours.
The main auditorium was renovated in the art deco style of the 1930s. There was live entertainment, and the Crystal Talkies cinema.
In 1988 Stanley Town Hall was listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register. It was considered a fine architectural example of a local government building, and its “townscape associations are regarded as important to the community’s sense of place”.
In 2010-2011 a substantial State Government grant funded further improvements. There was full restoration of the art deco auditorium, new seating, new toilet facilities, and new house and stage lighting, and sound systems and projection equipment. There was extensive electrical rewiring, and external painting of the building.
Festival of Small Halls rolls into Stanley on Friday, 4 January 2019.
Tickets available online here, or at Lizzy’s This n That, Smith St, Smithton, or at Sticks & Stones Shells & Bones, Church St, Stanley.
Proudly presented by Circular Head Council.
The Wynyard Theatre has seen many forms of entertainment performed from its stage over the past 91 years including some by the resident ghost. Today the Theatre is a popular venue for live bands and the local Lighthouse Film Society.
Festival of Small Halls rolls into Wynyard on Saturday, 5 January 2019
Doors open at 6.30pm
Tickets available online here, or at Wynyard Visitor Information Centre.
Proudly presented by the Waratah Wynyard Council and The Wharf Hotel.
Sulphur Creek on Tasmania’s beautiful North West Coast is a small community of approximately 500 people. Positioned to look out across the waters of Bass Strait, The Sulphur Creek Hall takes centre-place in the community positioned between the sea and rich farming land.
The Memorial Hall was built to commemorate those who died in service in WWI and WWII and has been the centre of the community ever since. In 1954 the Advocate newspaper reported the hall would take 5000 pounds to complete, money well spent. A plaque placed in the foyer bears the names of the four local men who died.
A true Community Hall, it is the perfect venue to bring local community and the community of music lovers together.
Festival of Small Halls rolls into Sulphur Creek on Sunday, 6 January 2019.
Doors open at 6.30pm
Tickets available online here, or at Ulverstone Visitor Centre, 13 Alexandra Rd, Ulverstone 7315
The Rowella Community Hall was built as the Presbyterian Church of the Beaconsfield gold field. When the Beaconsfield mine closed in 1917, the church was moved on a bullock dray to its current site on the border of Kayena and Rowella amid the blooming apple and pear orchards. New residents arrived from India, New Zealand, England and Europe and needed a Hall to celebrate their new friendships and historic milestones. The supper room is dedicated to the local veterans of the two world wars. Today the Hall stands at the centre of the verdant wine, salmon and agricultural triangle of the Tamar Valley.
The Hall boasts the fine high-timbered walls of a Federation era church and the acoustics are excellent. For ninety years, it was the home of rural theatre provided by the Rowella Players and later the Rowella Drama Club. There are public and wheelchair accessible toilets and a green room off the Stage for actors and musicians.
The Rowella Community are proud to host the Festival of Small Halls and welcome people from all walks of life, for what is sure to be a fantastic night.
Doors open at 6:30pm.
Tickets are available online here or from the Tamar Visitor Centre, Exeter.
Proudly supported by the West Tamar Council